Road risk insurance is the minimum level of cover required when working in the Motor Trade. Our road risk policies are designed for individuals and smaller businesses.

You will need road risk insurance if you need to drive vehicles which you don’t own. Whether you buy and sell cars from home, work as a mechanic or run your own car valeting business, we can provide the right level of road risk insurance cover to make sure you’re fully protected.

The difference between a motor trade road risk policy and a private motor policy is that the road risk insurance policy specifies only the driver and not any one vehicle – meaning that you are covered to drive any vehicle in connection with your trade. Our policies include cover for driving or moving vehicles as part of your day-to-day business activity and we can include public liability cover.


If you’re a full time trader or a part-time trader, we are specialists when it comes to motor trade road risk insurance. We pride ourselves on our motor trade expertise and our ability to arrange the correct insurance solution for those working in the industry. We’ll not just provide you with a motor trade road risk insurance policy, but with the advice and expertise you need to get your business running at its best.

If you’re a new trader, then we know what you need to make sure you’re properly covered. We offer increased discounts for first time traders, as we understand the fact that you know what you’re doing and just want to get on with running your business!

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I covered to drive any vehicle?

You are covered to drive any vehicle owned by the policyholder or any in the policyholder’s custody and control for motor trade purposes.

Can I drive someone else’s car with their permission?

Only if the vehicle is in the custody and control of the policyholder for motor trade purposes, e.g. a crash repairer or body shop

What does a motor trade policy cover me for?

Social, Domestic and Pleasure use including commuting to and from a permanent place of work and motor trade business use including test drives, collection/delivery, taking to MOT, etc.

What is demonstration cover?

Cover for vehicles whilst being test driven by prospective purchasers. They must hold a full UK licence and be accompanied by a person named on the certificate of insurance.

What is an Uninsured Loss Recovery service?

In the event of an accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be able to claim back from the Third Party all your uninsured losses. Examples of uninsured losses are your policy excess, the cost of recovery of the vehicle, hire car, medical expenses, loss of earnings, re-advertising of vehicles etc.

Why does it cost more to add a driver?

The “risk” of having an accident goes up with the number of drivers on your policy. Private car insurance is different in the fact that only one person can drive the specified vehicle at any one given time.

Can my spouse take the children to school under this policy?

Yes, provided you had requested Social, Domestic and Pleasure use which allows any named driver on the certificate of insurance to drive a car for domestic purposes. This will include family outings, weekly shopping, visiting friends and commuting to and from a permanent place of work.

Does it matter whether I’m part-time or full-time?

Generally, most policies provide cover for both full time and part time traders depending on their main occupation.

What is the difference between comprehensive and third party only?

Third Party Only covers claims by a third party in the event of liability. Comprehensive will cover the third party, fire, theft and damage to the vehicle in your custody or control.

Is cover included in connection with my other non-motor trade business?

Cover can be extended to provide cover in connection with some occupations e.g. builders, gardeners, electricians, plumbers etc.

Can I get cover for vehicles at my trade premises?

Check with your provider

What is the Motor Insurers’ Database?

The 4th EU Motor Insurance Directive came into effect on 20th January 2003. Each EU member country has to establish a centralised method of identifying who insures a vehicle from its registration number. In the UK, this data is being collected via the insurance industry through the Motor Insurers’ Database (MID).

Do I need to notify my provider of any vehicles I get?

To comply with the law, you must notify them of any vehicles in your custody or control which are taxed and on the public highway for longer than 14 days. Should you have a vehicle for less than 14 days, you need not notify them.

You can get a quote online below, or contact our friendly team for more information on 0330 053 5110.

  • Competitive, tailor-made quotations
  • Friendly, knowledgeable staff
  • Specialist insurance schemes & discounts
  • Established for over 30 years